Welcome to the Short Story Unit. The stories you will encounter in this unit are the following:
- The Necklace
- The Lady or The Tiger
- The Secret Life of Walter Mitty
- The Gift of the Magi
- The Most Dangerous Game
Follow the steps below to complete the Short Story Unit Module.
- Go to Google Classroom and open the Google Slide called “Freshmen Short Story Unit Digital Flip Book”.
- Watch the following videos below. They are a review of the elements of plot.
- Go to Slide 3 and look up the vocabulary words for “The Necklace”. Write the definitions of the words onto the appropriate text box.
- Go to Slide 8 and read through the themes of “The Necklace”. When you read through “The Necklace” look for supporting facts that support these themes.
- Now go to my.hrw.com and go to Unit 2: Characterization and Point of View – Comparing Texts: The Necklace. Click on the video trailer and watch it. Then complete the Level Up: Character Motivation exercise. Print off your practice results and submit them to the teacher. They will look something like this: Then complete the Level Up: Making Inferences. Print off your practice results and submit them to the teacher. Read “The Necklace” and then complete the theme assignment on slide 8 of your assignment.
- Once you have finished reading “The Necklace” you are ready to move onto the next story. The next story you will be reading is “The Lady or The Tiger.” Complete the vocabulary for this story on slide 5. Now you are ready to begin reading this story. Click on this link to read the story. Use the video below in conjunction with reading if you would like to listen to the audio version while you read.
- After you are finished reading “The Lady or the Tiger” go to slides 9 & 10 and complete them.
- Go to slide 5 and complete the vocabulary for the short story “The Secret Life of Walter Mitty”. Now you are ready to begin reading “The Secret Life of Walter Mitty”. Go to this link to read the story. If you would like to listen to the audio version of the story as you read it is below.
- Now you are ready to complete slides 11 and 12. When you are finished you can watch the video below.
- After watching the film think about the similarities and differences between the film and story. We will discuss the video as a class when everyone has watched the video.
- Go to slide 4 and complete the vocabulary for that section. You will now begin working with “The Gift of the Magi”. Go to my.hrw.com. Go to Unit 1:Narrative Structure – The Gift of the Magi. Go to the PowerNotes presentation and review it.
- Again make sure you are at Unit 1: Narrative Structure- The Gift of the Magi. Go to WordSharp: Greek/Anglo-Saxon Roots. Complete the tutorial and print out your results.
- You will need to continue on the Unit 1: Narrative Structure – The Gift of the Magi. Complete the Level Up: Irony AND the Level Up: Making Predictions. Print off your practice results.
- Watch the videos below. Be prepared to identify the types of irony that show up in “The Gift of the Magi.”
- Begin reading “The Gift of the Magi”. When you are done complete slide 13 of your “Freshmen Short Story Module”.
- Now you are ready to move on to “The Most Dangerous Game”. Go to my.hrw.com. Go to Unit 1: Narrative Structure – The Most Dangerous Game. Begin by going to the PowerNotes presentation.
- While at the Unit 1: Narrative Structure – The Most Dangerous Game complete the Level Up: Conflict and the Level Up: Denotations and Connotations.
- Now you are ready to read “The Most Dangerous Game”. Complete slides 14-15.
- Look over your work and make sure it is complete and high caliber work. You are now ready to submit your work to Google Classroom. Do a happy dance because you are now done!
Congrats you have finished the Short Story Module!